NATIONWIDE COVID-19 CONTAINMENT ORDERS: COMMAND PREPARED TO PROFESSIONALLY ENFORCE THE ORDERS; AS CP WARNS OFFICERS TO SHUN ACTS PREJUDICIAL TO DISCIPLINE DURING ENFORCEMENT
- Sequel to the Nationwide Address by His Excellency, Muhammadu Buhari GCFR, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, on 27th April, 2020 wherein he issued new Orders to contain the spread of the novel Coronavirus pandemic in the country, and the consequent directive of the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Mohammed Adamu, NPM, mni on the professional enforcement of the Orders, the Enugu State Command of the Nigeria Police Force wishes to reassure the general public, especially residents of the State of its preparedness to enforce the new Orders, alongside those still in force in the State, in the most professional way and manner deemed non- prejudicial to discipline in the Force.
- Consequently, these new nationwide Orders, as applicable and to be enforced without fail in the State, with effect from 4th May, 2020, include:
- Daily overnight curfew from 2000hrs – 0600hrs across the State. This means that persons and vehicular movements, except for those on essential movements with valid proof, are prohibited;
- Ban on non-essential inter-state passenger travels until further notice;
- Partial and controlled inter-state movements of goods and services, allowed only for the transportation of medical supplies, petroleum products, food stuffs, livestock, agro-allied products and other essential goods and service providers;
- Strict and mandatory use of face masks or acceptable covering in public places, in addition to maintaining physical distance and personal hygiene in such places; and
- Restriction on social and religious gatherings in the State.
3. Consequently, the Commissioner of Police, CP Ahmad AbdurRahman MCPSS, MCJ, MNIM, while enjoining citizens of the State to remain law-abiding and compliant with these Orders, especially now that the COVID-19 pandemic is said to be in its “Community Transmission Stage” in the country, has made it clear that any person(s) found violating these new and existing Orders, will be arrested and prosecuted accordingly.
4. In view of this, the CP has warned and directed all Officers in the Command, especially Area Commanders, DPOs, Heads of Tactical/Operational Departments and Formations, to ensure strict enforcement of these new and existing Orders. He also warned them to be professional, forbearing and avoid acts that could be prejudicial to discipline in the Force while enforcing the Orders, as any Officer found wanting will be severely sanctioned and their supervisors held vicariously liable for supervisory failures.
5. Meanwhile, residents of the State have been called upon to promptly call the Command’s emergency hotlines on 08032003702, 08075390883, 08086671202 or 08098880172 for security complaints, reports and/or suggestions. They have also been enjoined to report any suspected case(s) of the COVID-19 infection to NCDC by calling its State or National emergency numbers on 08182555550 and 09022333833 or 080097000010 respectively.
SIGNED: ASP DANIEL E. NDUKWE
Police Public Relations Officer,
For: Commissioner of Police,
Enugu State Police Command