The talented actress died today at the age of 82.
This heartbreaking news was confirmed by the son of the actress Kunle Fawole popularly known as Abounce (actor and rapper).
He told Nollywood website TNS, “Mumsie passed away about thirty minutes ago. God knows best”.
Ajayi was a widely respected actress in Nollywood.
Her last public outing was on Saturday, March 5, 2016 at the fourth edition of the Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards, where the veteran received a “Industry Merit Award.”
Here are 10 things you probably don’t know about the late veteran.
1. The veteran converted to Islam in the early eighties, and chose the name Zainab.
2. Ajayi studied at the Stanislavsky Institute of Drama, London.
3. She left England and came back to Nigeria after her education in 1965 and started out working in Nigeria Television Authority(NTA) as a presentation assistant in 1966.
4. Afterwards, she became a presenter and then a news reader.She presented a couple of children’s programmes and ‘Nigerian’s Sketches,’ a programme which was all about Nigerian culture, and Diran Ajijedidun of blessed memory was her producer.
5. She was later transferred to Port Harcourt and later back to Lagos, and it was at that time she started her acting career.
6. She started with the ‘Village Headmaster’ in the 70s, and she later got a role in Amaka Igwe’s ‘Checkmate.’
7. She has featured in so many home videos that she has lost count.Shooting of international film ‘Critical Assignment’ in South Africa, is one of the events of her life that she will never forget. It gave her an opportunity to see how it is done elsewhere, other than Nigeria, where a movie is shot in five days.
8. Bukky Ajayi’s popular movies include Mother of George, Indecent Girl, Diamond Ring, Witches, Thunderbolt among others.
9. She’s Jazzman Olofin’s grandmother-In-law.
10.As a kid, the actress loved fighting with her brothers. According to her, her father gave her the name “omo bi o te kii gbâ” meaning that “I loved to learn the hard way.’