Following Monday’s attack on troops of the 113 Battalion of the Nigerian Army in Borno, which were successfully repelled, military sources have announced that over 30 Boko Haram terrorists were killed while scores escaped with gunshot injuries.
The terrorists’ who were said to have numbered almost a hundred, reportedly started the attack by launching IEDS on positions of the troops and followed with shooting from different angles all in a bid to confuse the troops but the soldiers aware of the tactic, stood their ground and fought back gallantly.
Consequently, the military confirmed that 2 officers and 22 soldiers sustained various degrees of injuries from gunshots as well as IEDS attacks. No life was lost. In a statement last night, Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Col Sani Usman said, “Please recall that Boko Haram terrorists attacked our troops’ location at Kareto, northern Borno State Monday morning. “The troops successfully repelled the attack and killed quite a number of the terrorists. “The situation has since been brought under control and reinforcement sent. “So far our troops had 2 officers and 22 soldiers wounded in action. “All of them have been evacuated to Military Hospital Maiduguri where they are receiving treatment.
Usman attributed the successful defeat of the terrorists who attempted an incursion into 113 Battalion at Kareto Northern Borno State to timely response of the troops involved and provision of air cover by the Nigerian Airforce. While noting that the area is now cool and calm the Army Spokesman added that more reinforcement have been deployed to the Border community.